Member News — TD Charitable Foundation Awards $3.125 Million in Grants to Non-Profits Expanding Access to Affordable Housing
November 19th, 2018
Through its “Housing for Everyone” grant competition, TD Charitable Foundation, the charitable giving arm of TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank®, this week awarded 25 organizations throughout TD Bank’s footprint from Maine to Florida a total of $3.125 million.
The theme of this year’s competition is Expansion of Access to Affordable Housing and the 25 grants of $125,000 each will fund programs from these 25 winning organizations that provide access to safe, clean, physically accessible affordable housing units for families, individuals, the elderly, new Americans, Veterans, the disabled, women and youth. The competition will also look to fund the development and maintenance of programs that educate and assist individuals in finding permanent or transitional housing opportunities that meet their needs.
Earlier this year, TD launched The Ready Commitment, a global, multi-year program to help individuals and communities prosper. As part of The Ready Commitment, TD targets CDN $1 billion (US $775 million) in total by 2030 towards community giving in four areas critical to building an inclusive tomorrow – Financial Security, a more Vibrant Planet, Connected Communities and Better Health. Financial Security initiatives seek to increase access to the opportunities people need to help improve their financial wellness, ranging from access to affordable housing to financial literacy to early learning and income stability. Grants made through the TD Charitable Foundation’s 13th annual Housing for Everyone program help local non-profits provide affordable housing to individuals and families, leading to improvements in their ability to plan for the future and participate more fully in educational and economic opportunities.
“The winners of this year’s Housing for Everyone competition embody The Ready Commitment pillar of Financial Security,” said Lisa Gruner, Head of Social Impact and TD Charitable Foundation. “TD is honored to fund these organizations’ projects which will help to increase financial wellness to families and individuals across our footprint.”
This year’s “Housing for Everyone” grants winners are:
- Avesta Housing Development Corporation (Portland, ME)
- Caritas Communities (Braintree, MA)
- Champlain Housing Trust (Burlington, VT)
- Chester County Department of Community Development (West Chester, PA)
- Community Development Corporation of Long Island (Centrereach, NY)
- Community Loan Fund of New Jersey (New Brunswick, NJ)
- Community Preservation and Development Corporation (Washington, DC)
- Greater Bergen Community Action (Hackensack, NJ)
- Habitat for Humanity of Brevard County (Palm Bay, FL)
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Miami (Miami, FL)
- HELP Development Corp (New York, NY)
- Homes of Hope (Greenville, SC)
- Jubilee Housing (Washington, DC)
- Lawrence Community Works (Lawrence, MA)
- Mutual Housing Association of Greater Hartford (Hartford, CT)
- NeighborWorks Southern New Hampshire (Manchester, NE)
- New York Foundling Hospital (New York, NY)
- NewCourtland Elder Services (Philadelphia, PA)
- Newvue Communities (Fitchburg, MA)
- Rural Ulster Preservation Company (Kingston, NY)
- Settlement Housing Fund (New York, NY)
- SWAP, Inc. (Providence, RI)
- Volunteers of America Delaware Valley (Camden, NJ)
- Women in Need (New York, NY)
- Youth and Family Alternatives (New Port Richey FL)
These 25 organizations are transforming lives by providing affordable housing in communities served by TD Bank. The projects funded by the grants focus on the preservation, rehabilitation or expansion of viable existing affordable housing properties; the creation of new units of affordable housing; or programs or services that help individuals access affordable housing.
Since 2006, the TD Charitable Foundation has awarded more than $25 million in grants through this competition.