Rutgers Athletics enters into a multi-year agreement with Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (Horizon BCBSNJ), naming the state’s largest health insurer as the “Official Health Insurance Partner of the Scarlet Knights.”
Through this community partnership, Rutgers Athletics and Horizon BCBSNJ will seek to use their collective reach, popularity and influence to positively affect New Jersey families. The partnership, which builds on an existing relationship, seeks to improve the health and quality of life in New Jersey and brings a strong focus to promote healthier lifestyles through education, awareness and by motivating fans to take action.
“We are thrilled to announce this great partnership with Horizon BCBSNJ,” said Rutgers Director of Athletics Pat Hobbs. “This is a tremendous opportunity to harness the reach of Rutgers Athletics with the state’s largest health insurer to positively affect countless New Jersey residents. Our mission to support the health and well-being of our student-athletes is perfectly aligned with the goal of Horizon BCBSNJ to educate and create awareness on the benefits of leading healthier lifestyles.”
“This partnership brings New Jersey’s largest insurer and New Jersey’s largest university together in a new way to support the state’s top college athletes and help Rutgers students, alumni, and fans lead healthier and more active lives. Horizon and Rutgers share a common commitment to New Jersey and both are proud to be leaders recognized for driving innovations that improve the lives of every New Jerseyan,” said Kevin P. Conlin, Chairman, CEO and President of Horizon BCBSNJ. “Horizon has a long history of working with Rutgers on academic, research, and philanthropic activities, so this new partnership builds on what is already a very strong relationship between two New Jersey-proud institutions.”
Conlin, a 1980 Rutgers College graduate and former Scarlet Knight football player, noted that Rutgers University and Horizon BCBSNJ already enjoy a joint medical research partnership, a collaborative with the Rutgers Pharmacy School, common philanthropic investments, and academic connections in which many Horizon BCBSNJ leaders serve as guest lecturers or professors in university classrooms.
As partners, Rutgers Athletics and Horizon BCBSNJ will collaborate on several health and wellness initiatives, including:
- Game-day wellness activities at the new Horizon BCBSNJ Fan Corner — Located in the southeast corner of the football stadium, it will provide light health screenings, health education and wellness activities, and special opportunities to meet Rutgers Football Alumni players.
- Healthy food options on game-day — Horizon Healthy Huddle will offer fans a healthy twist on stadium fare at two concourse concession stands, featuring a nutritional menu co-developed by Horizon and Rutgers food and nutrition experts. The healthy concession will also operate at the Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC) for basketball and other sports activities.
- Supporting New Jersey’s youth — Horizon BCBSNJ and Rutgers Athletics student athletes will visit schools and nonprofit organizations throughout the state to promote health and wellness initiatives.
- Horizon BCBSNJ and Rutgers Athletics will provide local youth community organizations with tickets and unique experiences at select games.
- Rutgers Athletics and Horizon BCBSNJ collaboration on several health and wellness initiatives, including the R Fit program.
- Co-branded messaging at games serving the New Brunswick, Newark and Camden campuses to further advance our community outreach to promote health awareness and education.
- Special benefits for Horizon members and employees.
The relationship with Horizon BCBSNJ was facilitated by IMG, the exclusive multimedia rights holder of Rutgers Athletics.